Wednesday 8 October 2014

INSPIRATIONS - MISS GEORGIOU

INSPIRATIONS

Inspiration means the process of being mentally stimulated to do or feel something, especially to do something creative. To create/have ideas for a thriller film you need inspiration. Throughout my blogs i have researched into different parts of thriller films. Overall i have looked at BBFC, miss-en-scene, thriller, cinematography, sound, conventions and editing styles.

Each post has inspired me to look and include different things in my planning for my opening sequence. Being inspired has allowed me to express my ideas in many different ways.

Firstly i looked at Mise-en-scene.
In the mise-en-scene post i looked at the settings and iconography, the costume and makeup, facial expressions and body language, lighting and colour and finally the positioning of the characters and the main objects in the frame.  All of these are the main 5 points in mise-en-scene. In this post i analysed a scene and looked at these 5 points. This helped me to realise what actually goes on in a film and to look at all of these individually. Looking at the setting made me realise that most thriller films are made at night or in a dark or gloomy place. Also the weather conditions that are used has also helped me as when i create my own opening i will look at the setting as it makes a difference and adds more effect to the audience point of view. Furthermore, the costumes. Women normally wear something sexy, either red or black. The women victim is a main source in a thriller film and the inspiration i have gained for this is that costume is really important. A female victim can easily build up tension and bring suspense to the audience. In an opening sequence you want to be intrigued and be on the edge of your seats waiting for more. Mise-en-scene helps to create suspense and without these 5 things being made important thriller films would not be great and would the audience probably wouldn't be intreated as much. Mise-en-scene has helped to inspire me and look at new ideas for my opening sequence, i will take these 5 main points into consideration and look at everything i need to include in the scene.

The second post that i researched is cinematography. I have been inspired by this post by many things. In relation to my thriller i have found that cinematography uses important things that make thriller intriguing. The sequence that i looked/researched about in my cinematography post is The Conjuring. From this post i explained what uses of cinematography had been used and why, this inspired me to look at what uses i would use for my opening sequence. Furthermore, i will try to incorporate some of these techniques into my thriller as they can create tension, suspense, shock, surprise, all of these help engage the audience and create a relationship between the characters and the audience. An example of cinematography i found inspired me is shallow focus. This shot blurs objects out in the background, i found this inspired me because i looked further into what these shots create and why they are used in certain sequences, for example why was the man in Scream 2 blurred out in the background and the woman close to the camera focused on. This may be so the audience look at her emotions and facial features and because he was leaving the screen and wasn't needed to be focused on anymore. Not only looking at cinematography in this clip it helped me to research ideas for my opening sequence, as well as incorporating ideas using uses of cinematography.

Another post which i researched is sound. Researching sound in thriller films has inspired be to use some of these techniques in my opening sequence. The clip which i researched for my sound post is the conjuring. I chose this clip to analyse because it uses different choices of sounds. The one which inspired me the most to use in my thriller opening sequence is a diagetic sound - thunder. I found this inspired me the most because it is a natural sound and can scare anyone and not used just for the purpose of the film. Using natural sounds in thrillers is conventional is it creates a jumpy atmosphere. The large gush of thunder is loud and this builds up a tense atmosphere throughout, the thunders unexpected and isn't seen before by the audience, which i found worked well and inspired me to research further.
 
The fourth post that i researched is editing. Editing meant i could be inspired by what different skills are used when editing and what skills are used in other thriller films. The 'strangers'. This is a thriller film which i chose to look at for my editing research. From this i got inspiration from looking at the different editing skills usedm, the first one that i looked at was 'jump cut'. From writing about this i not only learnt what is was and why it worked well i learnt why it worked well in thrillers and why i may consider using it in my thriller opening sequenece. Editing is an important part in filming and means you can elaborate to the audience emotions and features of the film. I found that i was inspired by all the different editing skills used in this film and i found that they all worked well. Another use of editing that i looked at from this thriller clip is 'reaction shot'. As soon as i saw this it inspired me as it shows to the audience clearly what the victim is feeling and how their emotions change within seconds. This is one use of editing i will defiantly use in my opening sequence as i feel it works really well engaging the audeience and creates a relationship from the start of the scene.

The fifth post i researched into is conventions. This post had alot to write about as there is so many different types of conventions in all thriller films. There are many common conventions in thriller and some that arent so known, for my research i looked at a clip from 'The conjuring'. I picked this clip as i when i first saw i noticed many typical conventions of a thriller, the first being; low-key lighting. This is used in nearly all thrillers and many other films. Low-key lighting has inspired me as it brings emotion to the audience and helps keep them intreged. I found that low-key lighting keeps the audience on the edge of their seat as they dont know what is going to pop up next. I have been inspired by this to consider using this in my thriller opening sequence. I found that from other members of my class, nearly everyone found that low-key was used and found that it inspired them to thknk about using it as it keeps tension going throughout the sequence.

Overall, looking at my recent posts at what has inspired me, i feel they have all given me great ideas on what i can and shouldnt use in my opening sequence thriller. Inspirations post has not only let me gather thoughts from research i have collected, but to let me be inspired by what has been used and be intreged at why these skills work well.

1 comment:

  1. This post demonstrates some understanding of why inspiration is essential to consider, before creating a product. You have made a start in considering the various micro elements that have inspired you into creating your own thriller sequence.

    However, you need to be more specific with the micro elements that have inspired you, by focusing more on your sequence and how you have decided to film things in a certain way. This will enable your analysis to be more structured.

    Also aim to include images to support the points that you have made.

    ReplyDelete