Thursday 16 October 2014

RESEARCH INTO TARGET AUDIENCE - miss miller

RESEARCH INTO TARGET AUDIENCE

In this post i am going to be researching into my target audience. I have created an questionnaire which i have asked 40 random people from the public. This questionnaire contains 10 questions about thriller films. Three of the questions are open questions which means the answers will have elaborated answers, whereas seven of the questions are closed, this means the answer will be simply one worded or a tick or a cross. This questionnaire has helped me to conclude my results and gather information from the public.

Questionnaire 
This is my questionnaire, there is ten questions with either multiple question answers or answers that the audience have to answer themselves e.g own opinion. This questionnaire will help me to determine what i will and won't use when creating my opening thriller scene.



Pie Charts
From the results that i gathered from asking 40 random people from the public, i put my results into pie charts to show my results. From my results overall i feel i got fair answers and has helped me to conclude and get to know what the audience like to see in thrillers.

This is my first pit chart, from these results i can see that the majority of the people i asked are aged between 16 and 20. I thought the answer would be this as young people (teenagers) enjoy watching thriller films with their friends either at home or in the cinema. Furthermore, the second largest percentage of ages groups is 12-15 with 22%. From my pie charts i can see that its people under 20 that enjoy thriller films the most, although i only asked 40 people i can see that from my results the smallest amount is 21-30 years old. I find that these have the smallest amount of viewings because of work life, or other social things. Overall i found my results were conclusive and gave me a good idea of who to aim my target audience at.

My second pie chart which i created has the title of 'Are you male or female?'. From these results i found that more women watch thriller films than men. 58% of women watch thriller films and 42% of men watch thrillers; these were the results from 40 people. Before the questionnare i made a conclusion that more men would watch thriller films, although i found that it worked the other way round and more women actually enjoyed watching thrillers, whether this is on their own or with someone else they know. From this i now conclude that men like action/romance films over thrillers.

The third question on my questionnaire is 'Do you like thriller films?'. The overall result from this question on my pie chart showed that the majority of the people i asked said Yes. 82% of the 40 people i asked said yes and 18% said no. This concludes that the amount of people that answered my questionnaire gave fair answers and used information from thriller films they have seen before. There are many different thriller films and everybody has their own taste for example, horror thriller or an action thriller. 82% is a large percentage and i am happy with the result of the questionnaire.

My fourth question to the public was 'What music do you think works well in a thriller?'. I asked this question so that i have a good idea of what music and background noise to use when creating my short opening sequence. In this question i gave three answers the public could pic from, the three were; eery, tense, fast and slow. The results i collected showed that the public most like tense music, the results showed 37% of the public like tense music. The least popular was joint; fast and slow both with 18%. This gives me an idea and image that i will use tense and eery music. The public picked these two because they create the most suspense and brings tension to the audience. Furthermore, the eery music is a background noise which makes the audience scared and give them the idea that they are in the film and experiencing what the victim is.

(picture) Another question i have asked the audience about thriller films is 'Do you like the killer to be identifed or not?'. This question was closed, and only had 2 answers which could be selcted, these were either yes or no. I asked this question as i was curious on what the audience like to see, whether the majority like to be kept in suspense and not see the killers face. The results from this question showed that 47% said yes and 53% said no. This was conclusive to show that over half of the 40 people i asked didnt like the killer to be identified.

(picture) 'What is your favorite thriller setting?' This was the next question i asked in my questionarre. I asked this question to the audience as i wanted to know what peoples favourite setting was in a thriller, obviously in thriller films they can be set anywhere but there are some prime settings that are used. The four answers that i gave the audience to choose from were forest, haunted house, abandoned building and isolated loacation. The answer i found that was most popular was isolated location with 33%.  I feel that this was the most popular answer picked as there are many places that can come under an 'isolated location' and can mean different things to everybody. The answer which was picked the least with 13% was 'abandoned building'. This answer was only picked a few times and has now shown me that not many people enjoy watching thriller films which have a backgound setting of a abandoned building.

(picture) My seventh question that i asked the audience was 'do you think a female victim works well?'. For this question i gave the public 3 choices to choose from, these were; yes, no, sometimes. 77% said yes, 20% said no and 3% said sometimes. This is what i expected from this question, in my opinion i think the vemale victim does work well and most of the public agree with me. The female victim in a thriller can create all three of the 's's'. These are shock, suspence and suprise. A female victim also grabs the adiences attention well as the female victim is usually sexy and attractive, this helps build tension. I feel overall that the public do like the female victim and the part of the public that said no, either dont like thriller films or find that something else works equally as well in a thriller.

The next set of questions  i asked the adience were 'open questions' which means that there is no answers given, the audience have to use their own interprtation.

(picture) The first question i asked was 'what do you like about thriller films?'. The question gave me loads of feedback and i feel the public gave me some good answers. The three most popular answers i found were; creates suspence, the narrative and iconography. Iconography was the second most popular with 35%. Iconography simple means props and costumes. Iconogrpahy plays a huge part in thriller films and also helps to engage the audience, this could be because the female is wearing red or the killer is wearing a mask. The most popular answer i found with this answer was 'creates suspense' with 40%. When asking this question i found that the majority of the people said or mentioned this and i feel this is because when people watch thrillers they want to be intreged and be kept on the edge of their seats, the public want to be shocked aswell as suprised and be intreged in suspencful moments. Overall from this question i found i gained good answers and got a good range of answers, although i heard so many, these were my top 3 answers and helped me to conclude my thoughts about what people like in thrillers.

(picture) The second open question i asked was 'What conventions do you like, and why?'. From this question i found that many people didnt know what conventions in a thriller was, before asking the question i simple explained the typical conventions of a thriller e.g. low key lighting, female victim, blood and gore, slow editing, fast scenes, hidden setting, dark and gloomy weather/sky or night time etc. The three most popular answers i received from the public were; music, scene and female victim. The answer which i heard the most was the music with 37%. The sound in a thriller is a convention, for exmaple if the killer was walking up the stairs there would be slow eary music to create suspense for the audiece. The sound can create tension and works well at intreging the audience. The scene has a percentage of 33. The scene can range from anything to an abandoned house to a farm. A thriller film can be set anywhere as long as it has charachteristics to fit with the story line.

(picture) Lastly, my final question is 'what weapons do you think work well, and why'. I knew before asking this question that there is a range of answers that can be said and the top three that i came out with are; gun, knife, axe. I found from this that over half of the people i asked said knife, with 68%. A knife in a thriller is very common and i feel is the weapon which creates the most suspense. With a knife anything can happen, the killer can miss target, hit someone else, stab themself or simple not do anything at all. From this question i found that people explained themself well and has plenty of answers to say, everybody watches different thrillers and hs different opinions.

These pie charts and evaluations have helped me to conclude the publics answers. Each member of the public i asked gave different opinions and answers which helped me to show that everybody like something different. I feel the question that helped me the most was 'what do you like about thriller films'. This question in my opinion sums up all of the questions overall and simply saying your opinion and answer helps when it comes to looking at what scene and what charachters to use.
The target audience in which i feel i am going to aim my thriller opening sequence at is 16-20. From my pie charts i can see that this age range gave the highest amount of watchers and enjoy the most  and my gender audience will be for men and women. I feel overall that using pie charts has helped me analyse my results thouroughly and helped me to create an image of who likes what and what does and dosent work well in a thriller film. Pie charts helps you to see clearly the percentages and the highest and lowest answers out of three.

Vox Pots

Vox Pots are short videos interviewing a member of the public. My Vox pots invlove me asking questions from my questionnare, in my questionnare there are 10 questions. These vox pots videos are answers which are included in my pie charts.

(insert video)

(insert video)

(insert video)









1 comment:

  1. You have provided a basic analysis of your results, explaining what the results show, but not going into enough detail on what you will include within your video as a result.

    You need to:
    1) Make sure you explain what you will include (give examples) within your music video because of your results
    2) Include pictures of all of your pie charts
    3) Include a paragraph on why you made vox pops of your questionnaire (qualitative data)
    5) Include your vox pops
    6) Check spelling and grammar etc.

    ReplyDelete